What are the most common ways house fires start?
Fires can start in the smallest of ways and turn into the biggest problems. It's important to check your home regularly and be aware of the most common ways a fire can start to protect you and your family.
So, what are the most common ways that a fire can start in your home?
* Lighting: Most people do not think that lighting can be the cause of a home fire. Make sure that lamps cannot be knocked over, and that lamp shades are not too hot.
* Cooking: Be sure to not leave foods that are being cooked on the stove unattended to. If you need to leave the kitchen, ask someone to keep an eye on the food. it is very easy to get distracted by a phone call or tending to a child and forget you have food on the stove.
* Flammable Liquids: Do you keep flammable liquids in your garage? If you answered yes, you are not alone as most people do keep flammable liquids in their garage. Be sure to keep them away from heat sources and check the label before selecting an area for storage.
* Smoking in Bedrooms: It's best to not smoke in bedrooms as the cigarette bud can still be lit for hours after the cigarette bud has been put out.
* Bad Wiring in your Home: If you notice the lights go down with you use a certain appliance, this could be an indication that the wiring in your home is bad. To be safe, have an electrician come out to check.
* Children & Curiosity: Make sure to keep matches, and lighters away from children. Teach your children how to stop, drop and roll just in case!
* Portable Heaters: Be sure to keep portable heaters away from fabrics as they can get really hot and cause a fire.
* Candles: Candles are a great way to add ambiance to your home and fill the room with your favorite scents! Be sure you don't leave candles unattended to, they're kept away from fabrics, and also kept on sturdy surfaces and away from children. Practice these tips so you can continue to enjoy your favorite scents of every season!